In this Synth Expert Review, courtesy of Pro Tools Expert, Dan Cooper takes a look at Mello by UVI. Mello is a keyboard instrument VI based on the legendary Mellotron instrument popular with countless artists including The Beatles, Bowie & Radiohead. Watch the video to hear how Mello sounds the context of a rock mix.
For more information and to purchase Mello please visit the UVI website.
- Pristine and comprehensive sample library from 3 original machines
- Mixable key and mechanical noise for authentic experience
- Switchable keyboard range (original or extended)
- Stereo modes including custom unison
- Switchable multimode filter with cutoff and resonance
- ADSR envelopes for amplitude and filter with velocity sensitivity
- 3-band EQ with sweepable mid frequency
- Built-in SparkVerb
- Analog-modeled tape delay
Mello has so much vintage vibe and character. In the first few moments of using Mello I got bitten hard by the creativity bug and went into songwriting mode with a few tunes written after a handful of very fun hours. This is what a good VI should do - inspire one to write a song or produce a track quickly and creativity.
If you are looking for a very different style of keyboard based VI then look no further - it doesn't even matter if you know nothing of the history of the Mellotron - This is a standout VI.